Pages

January 15, 2017

COSTA RICA | PART 2



December 29:
Today is a new day - rejoice and be glad in it!! Golden sunlight, warm breezes and a songbird who was indefatigably cheerful.
A foxy looking squirrel is sitting in the crook of a tree eating his routine breakfast orange. He nibbles at the peel until there is a hole wide enough to drink the juice inside. The fruit is too big for him to manage gracefully and he often drops it on the ground.
(EVENING:) The jungle was beyond my wildest dreams: palm trees, banana trees, lizards, birds, ferns, mosses and rivers made up the delicate ecosystem we were able to admire. I only took about 2,000 pictures. Mountain hiking is tough man! Or maybe I'm just out of shape -- but I was winded for shore. We forded rivers, sloshed through deep mud and slipped around on wet rocks. Having a clear cut path made it easy for us (thank you National Park system!), but I would never have made it through the raw jungle.
I had never seen so much GREEN in my life! I was afraid to touch anything for fear I might contaminate it; I had to watch my step in case there was a frog or parade of leaf cutter ants. There were wet, decomposing dead plants matting the ground + yet everything was so vibrant and alive. The experience was just as I had hoped -- I worshiped God the more for his glorious creation.



December 30:
Last night was spaghetti dinner + poker. I won quite a few poker hands - mostly because I had no idea what I was doing + Charlie and Ben kept helping me. Once I had a full house - ace high and I didn't even know it.
  • Excitement of the day: Charlie found a scorpion in our bedroom before we left this morning. The poor little fellow was scared and hid under a leaf.
  • The volcano crater we visited was closed because another volcano had recently erupted and they didn't want people to smell the sulfuric acid. We didn't care. We poked our heads out to take in some hefty whiffs of sulfur. Ash fell on the windshield. It was all very rebellious and exciting.
  • During our harrowing road trip through the mountains, we stopped to take pictures. There was a breath-taking view of the mountains at sunset. The air was so thin I started wheezing. But MAN OH MAN LOOK AT THE VIEW.

          Clouds poured over the mountains, bathing them in pinkish-golden light. There are no words.
We finally reached out hostel on Uvita Beach. Lover and I threw on our Tevas and followed Josh's flashlight glow to the Pacific Ocean. I'd never seen the Pacific till that night. It was low tide and the multitude of stars were mirrored on the glassy wet sand -- it truly felt like we were walking on the sky. Romantic. Until Ben mentioned there were crocodiles. (We were only able to see a small one.)
Also, we weren't entirely sure we were supposed to be on the beach at night, so when a police car with flashing lights started following us we all freaked out and started running away. Turns out the copper wasn't after us at all.



December 31:
Last day of the year and I am spending it with family on the beaches of Marino Ballena (the sand bar that looks like the tale of a whale.)

2 comments:

  1. WOW these photos look like they're from a storybook!! Nice shots!
    And holy gorgeous sunset view! God's creations are just incredible. <3

    sophie xx
    lavender and blue
    the inkpot girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thanks a lot! God has created so many beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete